Is Your Team Equipped for Mental Health Challenges
Mental Health First-Aid
Become a certified Mental Health First Aider and help your organisation and community create
a more supportive mental health culture and environment. Our nationally accredited Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) course,
developed by MHFA Australia in 1997, is regarded as the gold standard in mental health first aid training and is
now taught in over 20 countries worldwide.
Whatch The Video
Built on expert consensus guidelines developed by people with lived experience of mental health problems.
The Standard Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) course is an education program that empowrs adults with the knowledge and skills to recognise the signs and symptoms of common and disabling mental health problems in other adults, as well as mental health crisis situations.
Topics covered include:
- Panic attacks
- Substance use
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- Approach, assess and assist
- Listening non judgmentally
- Giving information and support
- Encouraging seeking professional help
The primary aim of the course is to equip participants across industries and community with the knowledge and skills they need to assist adults who are developing a mental health problem, experiencing a worsening of an existing mental health problem, or are in a mental health crisis, until appropriate professional help is received or the crisis resolves.
Who Can Benefit?
The Standard MHFA course is designed for individuals within communities and organisations, including parents, professionals, social workers, and anyone wishing to acquire the knowledge and skills to recognise the signs of mental health issues, intervene early, and provide beneficial support.
- Improved mental health and well-being for employees
- Reduced absenteeism and increased productivity
- Enhanced support and reduced stigma around mental health issues
- Better crisis management and intervention skills
Why Should You Do It?
MHFA is not a therapy or support group session. It is a comprehensive, nationally recognised accredited training that focuses on teaching participants how to provide mental health first aid until appropriate professional help is received or the crisis resolves.
By completing it you will be able to:
- Support colleagues, friends, or family members who may be struggling with mental health challenges
- Contribute to a more supportive and inclusive work and community environment.
How Will You Organisation Benefit?
Mental Health First Aid has been shown to foster a culture of understanding, empathy, and wellbeing, leading to:
- Early intervention
- Reduced stigma
- Increased support for those experiencing mental health problems.
Ultimately, MHFA can improve overall productivity and morale in your organisation and community as people feel more comfortable discussing and addressing mental health concerns.
- In the fashion & entertainment industry: MHFA training can help create a supportive environment that fosters connection, creativity and collaboration, enhancing kinship and reducing the risk of burnout and mental health issues.
- In education: MHFA training can equip educators and school staff with the tools to recognise and respond to mental health challenges among their colleagues and students, creating a more inclusive learning environment.
- In sports: MHFA training can help coaches, trainers, and athletes build mental resilience, improve teamwork, and enhance performance under pressure.
What Can Your Team Expect?
By completing the Mental Health First Aid course, your team will:
- Be better equipped to handle crisis situations in an emotionally sensitive and legally appropriate manner
- Experience a decrease in the likelihood of staff and clients reaching a crisis point undetected
- Establish a clear and consistent protocol to ensure the emotional and physical well-being of staff and clients
- Alleviate pressure on welfare officers and team leaders
- Enhance personal mental health for participants and reduce stigmatic attitudes
- Feel more confident in providing mental health first aid and foster increased support among co-workers.
Extras You Might Want To Know Before Booking A Course
Upon completing the course, participants do a short, open-book online exam that consists of approximately 15 questions. After passing, they receive a Mental Health First Aider Certificate, valid for 3 years.
Participants who do not wish to take the exam will still receive a certificate of completion.
The 12-hour standard MHFA course is deliverable in 1 of 3 ways:
2-day course (6 hours per day) Face-to-face course.
A self-paced e-learning component, followed by a 4-hour face-to-face session.
A self-paced e-learning component, followed by 2 x 2.5-hour video conferencing sessions.
Seal Of Excellence.
Your Course is personally delivered by founder, Bassam, Licensed MHFA Instructor with Mental Health First Aid Australia.
You can rest assured that when you enrol in our course you will be receiving:
- Professionally accredited facilitation by a most engaging, knowledgable, authentic and integral teacher and Instructor
- A current copy of Standard MHFA Manual
- Nationally recognised Certificate of completion
Our course also shows a decrease of stigma, and an increase in help-seeking behaviours.
Recognise the early warning signs of mental health problems in other adults in your organisation and community.
Equip participants with the knowledge and skills to provide assistance until appropriate professional help is received.
Respond across a range of crisis situations where an adult may be at risk, including psychosis, suicidal thoughts and behaviours.
Decrease stigma and increase support and overall wellbeing for those experiencing and living with mental health problems.
Exceeded my expectations. Bassam was exceptional, presented the whole thing masterfully and clearly. And what I loved most was his personal stories, real-life examples that made the content relatable.
Excellent – a course that as many people as possible should be doing. Mandatory in schools nationwide, and all workplaces should have mental health officers.
I enjoyed learning the skills to be an MHFAider. The content was interesting and the facilitators made me feel at ease, even with the more sensitive content.